Friday, September 26, 2008

Natural Laundry Detergent

We've been using this homemade laundry detergent mix for about a month now, and I love it so. Clothes smell so good and fresh and not chemically fragranced. SO nice.
It's a super simple recipe:

-1 bar grated castile soap (any pure vegetable soap works - we've used Dr. Bronner's and Carter's so far - both are great. I'll hopefully be making my own soon. Can't wait!). Grate it on your cheese grater. It works out to be about 2 cups.
-1 cup borax
-1 cup washing soda

Mix it all together and store in a glass jar. Just use 1 tablespoon for a light load and 2 tablespoons for a large or really dirty load. It's not going to suds up a lot, but don't worry, it's cleaning!

And as an alternative to fabric softener, I've been dumping about 1/4 cup of vinegar in the liquid fabric softener cup in the washer. Once your clothes are dry the vinegar smell goes away. :)

Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i just made a batch of this and did my first load. i really like it! and i love the castile soap for hand soap. it reminds me of my grandmother! thanks so much for sharing this!

Anonymous said...

Is washing soda the same as baking soda?

I would love to make some of this.

Leah said...

Crystal, no, it's not the same. I'm pretty sure I found the washing soda near the laundry detergents at the grocery store. I bought Arm & Hammer brand which is in a yellow box about the size of a cracker box. It has the big Arm & Hammer logo on it and it's called "Super Washing Soda." You can do a google image search for "washing soda" to find a picture of it to help when you're shopping. :)
Good luck and have fun!

fusherna said...

hi leah, i just found ur blog and fell in love with it instantly.
just checking with you regarding borax cos i found from this link which says it's not good.

http://www.users.on.net/~arachne/borax.html